Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Reflection

I wanted to share a poem that my brother got from an Elder in his district. He doesn't know the name of the Elder who wrote it, but it is beautiful.

The mirror shows reflections of the mask my soul now wears
The ripples bend the image and my confidence it tears
The scars and worldly stains hide the truth of what I am
And all the scrubbing soap cannot clean these hands
When did my poor soul weaken to temptation grow so prone
One more time I try to see the rose beneath the thorns
The child beneath the skin that seems so beaten, filthy, worn
Granted sight beyond the eyes a window too divine
The eyes they open, the mind now pure, and radiantly shine
What is this I'm seeing?
What angel that has come?
Should I bow before this presence
or turn my gaze and run?
I try to tear my gaze but something holds it fast
Familiarity and love that I once knew in the past
In amazement I now wonder at the being in the mirror
In awe and adoration mixed with innocence and fear
If I could rid myself of this filth that holds me fast
Is this what I should have become had I succeeded in my past?
I fall lamenting to my knees of all that I have lost
The days that I have wasted and the world that it has cost
Then a voice I barely know lifts me gently to my feet
And in a language pure, not spoken words, to my wears soul doth teach:
It's not about the past, it's not what you have done
Remember who you are now, remember that you're my son.

I hope you enjoyed this poem as much as I did. It brought tears to my eyes. It will probably also be put onto my brothers mission blog www.elderjoshliddle.blogspot.com

Have a great day everyone! :)

No comments: